GOD’S RECIPE FOR POWER IN HIS CHURCH
2 Chronicles 7:14 (NASB)
14 and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Illustration. The construction of the Temple. In these verses, God is providing help and provision for His people. When His people stumble from their lofty position and fall into sin, He is giving them the means necessary to recover that which they have lost.
(Illustration. There is a great need today for God’s people to recover that “Cutting edge.” – 2 Kings 6:6)
If we do not walk in or have the power of God, it is our fault!
We can walk in the strength of His power if we desire to. This verse tells us how.
Let’s look together at God Recipe For Power In His Church.
I. THE CALL
A. To God’s People – John 1:12 Ill. Not to the lost, but to those who bear His name! (Ill. Christian – Acts 11:26)
B. A Provision To be Met – “IF” It all hinges on the willingness of God’s people to do the Lord’s will! (Ill. Elijah and Israel on Carmel – 1 Kings 18:21 – We must decide who is really God!)
II. THE CONDITIONS
Power will come when God’s people are found to be:
A. Humble – Psa. 9:12; Matt. 18:4; James 4:10
We would do well to remember:
1. Where we came from – Isa. 51:1
2. That God is holy – Pro. 16:18
3. That God hates sin – Eze. 18:20; Rom. 6:23
4. That our best is filthy in His sight – Isa. 64:6
5. That God always judges sin – Gal. 6:7; Num. 32:23
(Ill. When we see God as He really is, and ourselves as we really are, then we will humble ourselves before Him! Ill. Isaiah – Isa. 6:6 – “Woe is me!”
B. Prayerful – Rom. 12:12; 1 Thes. 5:17
Calling on God for:
1. Our Spiritual needs
2. Other’s salvation and needs
3. Power in the church
4. Our enemies – Ill. Cliches and factions are not part of His plan! (Ill. The Corinthian church. Jesus has a better plan – Matt. 5:44!
C. Obedient – 1 Sam. 15:22; Acts 5:29
1. Obeying God’s Word – John 14:15
2. Obeying God’s Will – Matt. 7:21
3. Obedience carries a sweet promise from Jesus – John 14:21
D. Broken – Malachi – Repent; John the Baptist – Repent Ill. Eze. 18:30.
1. Confession – Psa. 32:5; 1 John 1:7
2. Turning away from sin – Anything less is not real repentance!
3. The church needs to be broken over her sins! Not just those of the world as bad as they are! It is our sins that are killing us!
4. True repentance has double vision: It looks upon things past with a
weeping eye and upon things future with a watchful eye!
III. THE COVENANT (If we will, He will!)
A. God Will Hear – Isa. 65:24. Ill. God hears a repentant prayer – Psa. 66:18.
B. God Will Forgive – 1 John 1:9; Psa. 103:12
C. God Will Answer – (Ill. Jacob and the angel) We must have the power of God! Anything less just will not do! Ill. When we get our lives, our prayers, our hearts right with God, we can expect Him to pour out His power upon us in the church. But, not until! (Ill. There are definite hindrances to a move of the power of God. We need to be aware of these and address them, because it is dangerous for us to quench His Spirit – Eph. 4:30!
I encourage each person here to establish a solemn covenant with the Lord Jesus Christ, one with the other, that we will repent of any sin in our lives and actively seek the face of God so that we can experience true revival and true power in the church and the nations!