THE UNVEILING OF REVELATION
The Book of Revelation in the Bible
Revelation 1:1-8 (KJV)
1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
2 Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;
5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
Why study this book of REVELATION?
Several reasons! Satan hates it; It applies to our day; God will bless the study of it, we need to hear it, we are commanded to preach the whole council of the word (BIBLE) and Revelation is a part of it.
Some people believed that we are not supposed to mess with this book. They declare that it cannot be understood. Well, it is the Holy Spirit’s job and not man’s to ensure that the Word is understood.
The title of the book is found in verse 1. THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST.
It is given to reveal unto us the purposes, the person and the plans of the Lord Jesus. Instead of these things being hidden as some say, even the name Revelation means “an unveiling.” We can understand the book and we can learn much from it. Let’s take some time together and study the first 8 verses of the Book of Revelation.
I. v.1-4 THE UNVEILING OF HIS PURPOSE (P)
A. v.1a-b The Significance (S) of the Book
(Meaning of “An Unveiling” – remove a veil or covering from, especially uncover ( example a new monument or work of art or plaque ) as part of a public dedication ceremony. To show or announce publicly for the first time).
1. v.1a The Person Of Christ Unveiled – Jesus Christ is revealed in all of His glory.
2. v.1b The Purpose Of God Unveiled – To reveal what will shortly happen.
B. v.1c – 2 The Signature (S) of the Book
1. v.1c The Marvelous (M) Way He received This Revelation
– Significance (meaning) –
(Lamps = assemblies; Stars = angels; incense = prayer, etc.)
(Note : All of the symbols are explained in this book or elsewhere in the Bible) (Note : Words change = Symbols do not!)
2. v.2 The Meticulous (M) Way He Recorded this Revelation
– He (John) recorded what he was commanded, not contradicting, but building on the testimony of Jesus Christ.
C. v.3 The Singularity (S) of the Book
– It stands alone in Scripture.
1. Embodies A Special Promise – A three fold blessing – (Ill. Rev. 22:14; 18-19)
2. Embraces A Special Period – Ill. These are the last days – Ill. Israel – Mt. 24:32-34. (It reveals events relates to our days!)
Benediction – In verses 4-5 John begins to address the seven churches of Asia Minor. He tells them of two things:
1. Grace – That God’s mercy is available to all, and that He will see His people through.
2. Peace – That even in the midst of turmoil, He is still the Prince of Peace.
He also reveals WHO this message is from:
1. God the Father – Ex. 3:14
2. God the Spirit – In the plentitude of His power (Ill.
First of many sevens!) (Ill. Stars, churches, lampstands, 7 times 7, etc.)
3. God the Son – Adonai Yeshua Meshach
II. v.5-6 THE UNVEILING OF HIS PERSON (P)
A. v.5 The Threefold Ministry Of Jesus
1. His Prophetic Ministry
– Faithful Witness. He witnesses to:
a. The Nature of Sin
b. The Necessity of Righteousness
c. The Nearness of Judgment
d. The News of Salvation (Illustration- Isa. 55:4; John 18:37)
2. His Priestly Ministry
– (First Begotten from the dead)
a. The offerer of the perfect sacrifice – His pure Blood, and the intercessor for men’s souls, Heb. 5:6; 7:25.
b. The first to rise to die no more, the promise of more to come – 1Cor.15:3-23 (Ill. First Begotten = Protokos – The prototype of what is to follow!!)
3. His Prospective Ministry – Ultimately, He will be ruler of Heaven and earth – 1 Tim. 6:15
v.5b-6 The Threefold Reason For Praise (John’s Doxology)
1. v.5b He Loves Us – (Present tense)
– a. Personal love – John 3:16 b. Everlasting Love, Jer. 31:3
2. v.5b He Loosed Us – (Past tense)
(Illustration – Washed = Louo – Dual Trans)
a. He Washed Us From Sins Stains – 1 John 1:7 – Total cleansing –
b. He Loosed Us From Sin’s Chains – Rom. 6:6-7
c. He Freed Us From Sin’s Claims – Rom. 6:23
3. v.6 He Lifted Us
a. Kings – Reign with the Lord Jesus – 2 Tim. 2:12
b. Priests – Need no other stand in. We have direct access to the Holy of Holies (Heb. 10:19).
(Ill. He is worthy to be praised. Ill. ALL Dominion will be returned to him some day very soon!)
III. v.7-8 THE UNVEILING OF HIS PLAN (P)
A. v.7a An Immediate Plan – To return in glory – Zech. 13:6 (Ill. Second Coming is in 2 parts – Rapture and Glory.
B. v.7b An Ultimate Plan – To Rule over all – Heb. 10:12-13
C. v.8 The Key To His Plan – (All revolves around WHO He is!)
1. The Alphabet of God – (Ill. Who He REALLY is!)
2. The Almighty – (Ill. History is…His Story!) (Ill. Is, Was, Is to come!)
These are very exciting days to be alive and especially to be a sincere Christian. Prepare yourselves to be leaving this world soon! In the meantime, there are lost people all around who need the message of Jesus Christ, invite them to these Bible studies and tell them of the Lord. The time is short, Satan is working and God’s people need to
be working also!!