THE JESUS CHURCH
Revelation 3:7-13 (NKJV)
The Faithful Church
7 “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write,
‘These things says He who is holy, He who is true, “He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens”:
8 “I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name.
9 Indeed I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie—indeed I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you.
10 Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth.
11 Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown.
12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.
13 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’
Philadelphia was the youngest of all the cities. It was founded as a missionary city for Greek culture, it was known as “little Athens”. It was also a military buffer city. The name Philadelphia means The city of brotherly love. It was named this by King Attalus II for his brother Eumenes, King of Pergamous.
Philadelphia was built in an active volcanic area. As a result, there were numerous volcanic eruptions and earthquakes that forced the evacuation of the city.
Philadelphia was filled with numerous heathen temples, (Ill. Citizens and pillars). Philadelphia was the last of the Christian cities to fall. It fell as a result of jealousy on the part of Byzantium Christians. This church received no complaints from the Lord. Only praise!
Ill. Represents the rebirth of revival and missions! If we are to be any of these churches, let’s strive to be Philadelphian in our
ministry and outreach. (Ill. Sent missionaries to every nation!)
I. v.7 THE CHARACTER OF CHRIST
A. In His Attributes
1. He is Holy – Demon – Mk.1:24; Angel – Like 1:35; 1 Pet. 2:22
2. He is True – (Real and genuine) (His fame lives up to His claim!)
(Ill. Only Savior – Acts 4:12) (Ill. We can count on His Word!)
B. In His Authority – He has the keys. He is the “KEY” man! (Ill. Isa. 22:20-25 – type of Saviour!)
1. To God’s Blessings – 2 Cor. 1:20
2. To Salvation – Acts 4:12; John 10:9; John 14:6
3. To Service – 1 Cor. 16:9
4. To Safety – Col. 3:3
C. In His Activity – Opening and closing doors!
1. Ill. Open and closed doors – Paul, Acts 16
2. Jesus is busy manning the doors in our lives.
3. Ill. All doors (open and closed doors) are a blessing.
II. v.8-11 THE CONTROL OF CHRIST
A. v.8 In Control Of The Christians – (Knows works)
1. Weakness – Small numbers, true fundamental churches are in the minority. Ill. Under God’s control.
2. Willingness – Weak but strong, kept some big things.
a. Kept Word – Ill. Bible is the Word of God – Is inspired, must be kept. Ill. The Word – Under attack
b. Kept the Name – Jesus must be the churches focus! His name is to be lifted up – John 12:32.(Ill. Liberal church??) (Make much of Jesus and……..)
B. v.9 In Control Of The Critics –
1. False church hates the true church! – John 3:20
2. If we are faithful, we will be criticized – 2 Tim. 3:12 Like it or not, we can gauge our effectiveness by the flak we receive! Ill. Proper response – Matt. 5:44.
C. v10-11 In Control Of The Crisis
1. Great tribulation – Church will be gone (raptured) – Rom. 5:9.
2. The Earth Dwellers – Those who live for world – 1 John 2:15
3. Behold, I come quickly – Rapture – 1 Cor. 15:51-52; 1 Thes. 4:16-17
Joy for the believer and it is a missionary motive!
4. Hold Fast – Not to salvation, but to the Word and to His name. Do not lose reward and testimony. (Where would we want Jesus to find us?)
III. v.12-13 THE CONQUEST OF CHRIST (Rom. 8:37; Jn 16:33)
A. v.12a He Will Make Them – (Ill. Pillars in His Temple)
2. Stability – In God’s Temple. It will stand forever!
3. Steadfastness – Go out no more. (Ill. Earthquakes in Philadelphia) (Ill. Eternal city! – Safe and Secure)
B. v.12b He Will Mark Them
1. Name of Jehovah – Marked as God’s people. Called out!
2. Name of New Jerusalem – Marked as to Destination. 1 Cor. 2:9
3. Name of Jesus – Marked by the Master. Ill. His Mark – Holiness!
(Ill. His new name will reveal more of Him to us – Ill. Sheba
1 Kings 10:1-9)
Would Jesus tell us what he told these people? Would He come with praise? Or with complaint? Would He seek to encourage us? Or, would He have to rebuke us before He could bless us?
Perhaps, you are not even saved! Why not deal with whatever might be wrong in your life right now?
Salvation Prayer :