WHEN JESUS OPENS THE DOOR
Revelation 4:1 (NKJV)
The Throne Room of Heaven
4 After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven. And the first voice which I heard was like a trumpet speaking with me, saying, “Come up here, and I will show you things which must take place after this.”
Revelation 1:19 (NKJV)
19 Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after this.
This verse must be understood, if we are to correctly interpret the divisions in the book of Revelation. There are three divisions. Chapter 1; 2-3; 4-22. This is clearly stated by Rev. 1:19. That verse is the key verse to the book. It unlocks the door of our understanding. If we miss that verse, we have missed the leadership of the Lord Jesus!
If Rev 1:19 is the key that opens the door, then Rev 4:1 is the hinge upon which it swings! If we miss the significance of this verse, then we will be as guilty as any of the cults. We will misinterpret the rest of the book if we miss it here!
(Ill. Hereafter and after these things!)
I. THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE VERSE
A. It Is A Transitional Verse – Ch. 1:19 (Ill. The things which are to take place after the rapture. (Ill. Meta-tauta – After these things!)(Ill. Rev Ch. 3 – Last word on the church until 19, upon the earth!)
B. It Is A Typical Verse – A Type of the rapture! (Ill. John represents the caught up believers!)
(Ill. There must be a rapture here! If it isn’t, our entire theology is washed up!)
II. THE SYMBOLISM OF THE VERSE (Ill. Rev. 1:1 – Sign-i-fied)
A. A Symbol Of Sight – (Ill. Open doors – third time!)
1. Rev. 3:8 – Door of Opportunity
2. Rev. 3:20 – Door of Salvation
3. Rev. 4:1 – Door of Deliverance (Standing open) – third time.
a. Jesus Christ is the Only Door – John 10:9; John 14:6
b. The door is open for salvation, but it will close – Matt. 25:1-13.
c. Door is open to receive the saints home!
B. A Symbol Of Sound – Trumpet
1. I Thes 4:16-18 – Rapture
2. 1 Cor. 15:51-52 – Rapture
3. Come up hither – The call of authority – Ill. Jesus calling for Lazarus to come out of the grave – John 11:43
III. THE SWEETNESS OF THE VERSE (Ill. A Blessing)
A. An Escape – No tribulation for the church! 1 Thess 5:9.
1. Ill. 1 Thes 4:16-17 – Ill. caught up = to snatch away. (Implies haste and rescue) The church will be rescued from impending doom!
2. Judgment Is Coming – (Rev. 2:22; Rev. 3:10) (Ill. Chps. 6-19!!)
3. Escape Is Promised – Rev. 3:11
a. Illustration – Types of rapture in the O.T.
1. Enoch – Gen. 5 2. Noah – Gen 6-9 3. Lot – Gen. 19
4. The church will be tested, but not in the Great Tribulation – (Ill. Jesus Movement!)
5. Proof Positive – Rev. 2:7; 11; 17; 29; 3:6; 13; 22 – Contrast – 13:9 – No Holy Spirit no church!
B. An Entrance – Going to Heaven to be with the Lord!
1. See the Lord – Rev. 22:4
2. Experience Heaven – Rev. 21:4; 1 Cor. 2:9
3. Live Forever – John 11:25-26
Praise the Lord!