HISTORY’S GREATEST PRAYER MEETING
Revelation 6:9-17 (NKJV)
Fifth Seal: The Cry of the Martyrs
9 When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held.
10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?”
11 Then a white robe was given to each of them; and it was said to them that they should rest a little while longer, until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren, who would be killed as they were, was completed.
Sixth Seal: Cosmic Disturbances
12 I looked when He opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became like blood.
13 And the stars of heaven fell to the earth, as a fig tree drops its late figs when it is shaken by a mighty wind.
14 Then the sky receded as a scroll when it is rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved out of its place.
15 And the kings of the earth, the great men, the rich men, the commanders, the mighty men, every slave and every free man, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains,
16 and said to the mountains and rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb!
17 For the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?”
Ill. The first four seals. The events of these verses, are during the middle portion of the Great Tribulation. The time known as Jacob’s Trouble, (Jer. 30:7).
As the fifth and sixth seals are opened, terrible things take place on the earth. Many are depressed by the events of Revelation. However, we must consider what this world has done and continues to do to God and His Son Jesus Christ. God has every right to judge mankind and He will exercise that right during the Tribulation.
Let’s look into the Word as the Lamb opens these two seals, the fifth and sixth seal.
I. V.9-11 THE MARTYRS IN PEACE (P)
(Ill. Martyr – One killed for adherence to a belief! Believing in Christ)
(This passgae refutes two doctrines: 1. Soul sleep – These souls are awake! 2. Purgatory (As In Catholicism) – These souls are not paying for anything, they are waiting on something!)
(Altar = Safety; Security and Sacrifice)
(After the rapture, the world will hear the Gospel – Currently, Scripture is in more than 1,100 translations; 2,000 languages!)
A. V.9 THE COST OF ALLEGIANCE – (More in Rev chp. 7)
1. Many will be saved during Tribulation. They will pay with their own blood! Tribulation saints!
(Ill. The inquisition of the dark ages; the modern persecutions! Thousands are martyred today for their faith in Jesus Christ) (2 Tim. 3:12) (Ill. Matt. 10:25; John 16:1-4)
2. There is a price to pay for devotion to the Lord!
B. V.10 THE CRY OF VENGENCE –
1. Ill. A strange cry – Not a Christian cry, we are taught to pray for our enemies – Ill. Stephen – Acts 7; Jesus Luke 23; Ill. Matt 5:44; Rom. 12:14
2. How long Oh Lord? OT terminology – Ill. Psa. 94:1-4
3. God will deal differently during the Tribulation. (Ill. OT = Law; NT = Grace)
C. V.11 THE COMFORT OF OMNIPOTENCE
(Ill. It is good to serve a God who knows it all!)
1. White Robes – Have a body; Purity; Closeness; Love!
2. Others must die also! (Ill. Why? To glorify the Lord! Rub Satan’s face in it!)
3. In the midst of trouble, just rest in the Lord, we will understand it better farther on. Even now, God has a purpose – Rom. 8:28.
II. V.12-17 MEN IN PANIC (P)
(Ill. Most awful and frightening scene in Bible!)
(Ill. We have just seen the prayer meeting in Heaven. Here is the largest one the world has ever seen.!) (Ill. 7 classes of men are portrayed – a picture of the entire human race. A race in total panic!) (Ill. TV and movies have left us desensitized, but the feeling will come back some day!) Here is a scene where all of mankind has gone totally berserk!
A. V.12-14 WHAT THEY SEE (Ill. Earthquakes)
1. A universe in total and absolute mayhem! – Ill. Predicted – Hag. 2:7; Mt. 24:29. (Illustration – Last 4,000 yrs – 13,000,000 dead from quakes!)
2. An Earthquake – Ill. The fear of an earthquake. Men rely on the stability of the earth. But, even that will fail then!
3. Sun Becomes Black – Happened at Calvary! (Ill. May 19, 1780 – The Dark Day) The sun goes into mourning! Ill. A universal power failure! Ill. No ordinary eclipse! Some believe this is atomic war – No Way!) Sun God dead!
4. Moon Becomes as Blood – Ill. A reddening of the moon! (Ill. Power of the moon) Moon God dead!
5. Stars fall – Ill. The use of stars – Navigation, Prognostication – the God of Astrology is dead!
6. All of the naturally stable things that man has depended on are removed from their sight that they might focus their attention on God!
7. Heaven is rolled back – All that is above is rolled away! The curtain is drawn, the veil that separates us from the face of God will be removed!
8. Mountains and Islands moved – (Ill. Atomic war – 17 times amount needed to destroy the world!) All stability is gone. (Ill. Many times the sinner has to be brought there before he will come to Jesus!)
B. V.15-16a WHAT THEY SAY
1. Seek Refuge – Ill “Cave men” in future, not past! Man is devolving not evolving!
2. All men begin to pray – Want to be buried in the rocks. Men who are too tough and too cool to pray now, will pray then! But, to the wrong place!
3. Too late to pray now! Yet they pray and in the wrong direction! They call on the rocks and not the Rock of Salvation to cover them! Many who would not turn before do now, but it is too late!
C. V.16b-17 WHAT THEY SENSE
1. Will finally believe that sin, wrath and judgment are true!
2. Wrath of the Lamb – (Ill. Lambs – Meek, gentle, docile – Paradox) (A picture of rejected love!) (Wrath = Orge, A building of anger – God’s wrath has been building for a long time! It will be released!
3. None Will Be Able to Stand – All will have to experience the judgment of God. None is good enough to escape. It will be a time of Hell on earth!
Come to the Lamb, while He is still dealing with men in mercy (GRACE)! Rev. 22:17!
Revelation 22:17 (NKJV)
17 And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.