WHEN HELL VISITS THE EARTH
Revelation 9:1-12 (NKJV)
Fifth Trumpet: The Locusts from the Bottomless Pit
9 Then the fifth angel sounded: And I saw a star fallen from heaven to the earth. To him was given the key to the bottomless pit. 2 And he opened the bottomless pit, and smoke arose out of the pit like the smoke of a great furnace. So the sun and the air were darkened because of the smoke of the pit. 3 Then out of the smoke locusts came upon the earth. And to them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power. 4 They were commanded not to harm the grass of the earth, or any green thing, or any tree, but only those men who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads. 5 And they were not given authority to kill them, but to torment them for five months. Their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it strikes a man. 6 In those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will desire to die, and death will flee from them.
7 The shape of the locusts was like horses prepared for battle. On their heads were crowns of something like gold, and their faces were like the faces of men. 8 They had hair like women’s hair, and their teeth were like lions’ teeth. 9 And they had breastplates like breastplates of iron, and the sound of their wings was like the sound of chariots with many horses running into battle. 10 They had tails like scorpions, and there were stings in their tails. Their power was to hurt men five months. 11 And they had as king over them the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon, but in Greek he has the name Apollyon.
12 One woe is past. Behold, still two more woes are coming after these things.
Ill. The phrase, “Hell on earth!”. We tend to exaggerate our circumstances sometimes and feel that we really have it bad. We are famous for our pity parties! We have never seen a time like the one that is coming upon this old world someday. It’s a terrible time to be in and experience the full wrath of God.
Ill. The tribulation period. A time that is so bad, even Heaven becomes silent over the coming horror, Rev 8:1; and pronounces a threefold woe upon the earth dwellers, Rev 8:13).
Many people avoid this book, because it scares them. Well, it was given to lost men as a warning of what was coming so they might prepare themselves and miss the awful period of time that is coming upon the earth. These things are not to be avoided, they are to be heeded. These things are given to change us. Today, we will literally see a period of time when there will be hell on earth! If you have heard of sin, Hell and the end of man and are still unmoved, then listen to these verses today as we consider the thought, When Hell Visits The Earth!
I. V.1 THE ANGEL (Let’s see if we can determine his identity!)
A. A Famous Figure – (A star = Ill. Athlete, movie, music, etc.) (Ill. Lucifer = Day Star – Isa. 14:12) Ill. Known in Heaven, Earth and Hell
B. A Fallen Figure – Ill. Past tense; Ill. Luke 10:18
1. Fallen from Heaven – Isa. 14:12; Eze. 28:14) (Ill. Anointed Cherub)
2. Satan hates both you and God – don’t let him use you!
C. A Fearful Figure – (Bottomless Pit = Shaft of the Abyss; Luke 8:31)
1. Jesus holds the keys to hell – Rev. 1:18; (Ill. Satan’s power is limited! Ill. The life of Job and the power of Satan)
2. The key is delivered to Satan that he might unlock the door that separates this world from the next. The hidden supernatural world will come into full view! (Ill. What a tragedy on mankind!)
II. V.2 THE ABYSS
A. A Deep Place – Bottomless Pit.
B. A Dark Place – (Ill. Smoke, a description of Hell – Luke 16:19-31) (Ill. People joke about hell, but those who reject Jesus will go there!)(Ill. Mt. St. Helen’s volcano eruption – people had sense enough to flee and save their lives!)
C. A Demonic Place – Matt. 25:41
1. Demons dread the Abyss – Luke 8:31
2. The Beast comes from the Abyss – Rev. 11:7
3. Satan will be chained in the Abyss – Rev. 20:1
4. Fallen angels are bound there – 2 Pet. 2:4; Jude 6
5. Abyss is the home of demons so vile and so vicious that they are chained now, but they will be released some day in the Tribulation!
6. The world is getting ready for this invasion! (Ill. Increased interest in the supernatural and occult, especially dark angels. This will prepare the world for the demonic attack that will come! (Ill. Music, movies, cults, crime, etc. All point to an increase in demonic activity!)
III. V.3-12 THE ATTACKERS
(Ill. The Locusts and the terror they inspire. Ill. Their utter devastation of crop land and vegetation!)
1. Have powers as do scorpions – Ill. Scorpions.
2. Are they literal or Figurative?
Figurative! 2 reasons: (Scorpions)
a. V.4 They do not hurt plants, they target people, lost people!
b. They have a king – Pro. 30:25
3. What we see here is a demonic invasion!
A. V.5-6 A Description Of Their Purpose
1. To Torment Men for five months!
2. Death will be a goal, but no one will die for 5 months! Painful torture! No relief! (Ill. No funerals; no obituaries!)
3. Even suicide will be impossible! (Ill. The horror here!)
B. V.7-12 A Description Of Their Personalities (Locust-Scorpion)
1. Horses – An invading army
2. Crowns – Authority; No one will be able to do away with them! (Ill. Congress or Medicine!)
3. Faces – Intelligence
4. Hair – Attractive – Men may be drawn to them
5. Teeth – Infective – Ill. Lion’s bite is the most infective bite known!
6. Breastplates – Force and Insensitivity – They will delight in inflicting pain! (For five months, they will feast on blood and suffering of man!)
7. Chariots – Oppressive – Unstoppable (Ill. Armies of men will prove useless against the onslaught!)
8. Tails – Tormentive; They will sting men with venom.
9. Destructive – v.11 They are organized and the name of their king is
Destruction! They have a job and they will perform it well!
10. What will it be like to awaken one morning and find one of these fearful creatures staring at you and waiting for you? Many will find out in that dreadful day!
One day soon, Hell will be let loose upon this world! Will you be here? You don’t have to be! You have a choice to be saved from the dreadful day to come.
Jesus Christ died on the cross to save all men. And, to make a way for them to avoid the terrible times that are coming upon this world!
Folks, believe and have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.