THE 1,000 YEAR PARTY
Revelation 20:1-10 (NKJV)
Satan Bound 1,000 Years
20 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, having the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. 2 He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; 3 and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished. But after these things he must be released for a little while.
The Saints Reign with Christ 1,000 Years
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
5 But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.
Satanic Rebellion Crushed
7 Now when the thousand years have expired, Satan will be released from his prison
8 and will go out to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle, whose number is as the sand of the sea.
9 They went up on the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city. And fire came down from God out of heaven and devoured them.
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
This is a chapter of much controversy. The controversy is found in vrs. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. It has to do with the 1,000 year period known as the Millennium. The period when Jesus will rule upon the earth in peace and righteousness. (Ill. Isa. 11:1-11) (Ill. Swords and plowshares).
There are three views concerning the Millennium,
1.) Postmillennialism – This view says that men will get better and better and will establish the Kingdom of God and then Jesus will return. (False!)
2.) Amillennialism – This view says that the Kingdom is here right now, Satan is already bound. This view spiritualizes these Scriptures. (False!)
3.) Premillennialism – This view says that man will continue to degenerate and when man hits the bottom, Christ will return to the earth and establish His Kingdom. This view treats these Scriptures literally. (True View!)
There have been some who asked why even have a millennium?
These are several answers:
1. To fulfill Old Testament promises to Israel.
2. To give a public display of the glory of Jesus.
3. To answer the prayer, “Thy Kingdom come.”
4. To fulfill the promise that the saints will reign.
5. To bring about a complete redemption of nature. (Rom. 8:19-22)
6. To give man one final test under the sovereign rule of Christ.
Let’s look together at this great time.
I. v.1-3 SATAN REMOVED
– Ill. Man says that man’s problem is his environment. Give him a good environment and you will produce a good man. Jesus is going to improve man’s living conditions drastically.
II. v.4-6 THE SAINTS RESURRECTED
– Ill. The tribulation saints are raised and made to rule with the Lord Jesus! Ill. What a blessing resurrection is. Death is never the end for God’s children! (Ill. 1 Cor. 15:55-57)
III. v.7-8a SATAN RELEASED
– Ill. Why? Dr Schaffer, “If you can tell me why he was released the first time, I will tell you why he was released the second.”
1. Ill. Satan’s anger – chained for 1,000 years – Ill. 1 Peter 5:8
2. Same old devil, same old tricks – Proves people will not repent under perdition, Satan is the same.
3. 2 Reasons he is released:
a. To prove the incorrigibility of Satan.
b. To prove the utter depravity of men. (Ill. The Dispensations!)
IV. v.8b-9 SINNERS REBEL
– Ill. Population explosion. Man will still be seeking a better way than God’s way after 1,000 years of the best days man has ever known. Man is wicked to the core apart from Jesus! Man declares war
on God! What foolishness!
V. v.10 SATAN RUINED
– Ill. Satan cast forever into the Lake of Fire! lPraise God, what glory awaits us!